Automated control system of railway wheel rim hardness measurement node
Railway wheels are in the list of the most critical elements of the rolling stock of the rail transport. While train movement the wheels are affected by static, cyclic and dynamic load, and in local areas (while slowing down) – by cyclic influences of high temperature. Every wheel element has a rapid time-varying system of compressive and tensile stresses. The voltage wheel–rail contact lead to breakages, most of which can be classified as rolling surface wair, thermal and contact–fatigue defects, brittle metal fracture.
The most important railway wheels quality parameter is hardness. Hardness requirements for wheels are established by national and international standards.
Automated control system of railway wheel rim hardness measurement node was created to fulfill the railroad wheels quality requirements, and is based on EMKO hardness tester.
- Client JSC "Zaporizhstal"
- Skills Automation
- Website https://www.zaporizhstal.com
Project Starting Date
The efficiency of work on the railway transport is largely depends on a reliable and fail-safe work of wheels, an important quality characteristic of which is the hardness of the surface of the wheel rim. Today there are a lot of requirements to quality of wheels: ISO 6506-1, GOST 9012, GOST 10791, M-107 / M208, EN 13262.
Automated control system of railway wheels rim surface process skid was created to fulfill the railroad wheels quality requirements, and is based on EMKO hardness tester.
- System provides an accurate all-axes positioning and the vertical axis positioning with binding to the outer surface of the rim wheel. Binding to the outer surface is made by using the high-precision absolute linear encoder that provides the required depth of the milling space for hardness measurement.
- Information on the measured hardness is read from the measuring unit EMKO by means of the RS-232 interface and is shown on the operator panel.
- Based on the data on the measurement of the hardness the system rejects the details, the hardness of which does not correspond to the requirements.
- The record of amount of quality and defective items is kept automatically preserving the data in nonvolatile memory.